Tuesday, April 3, 2007

That interseting thing...

I know I promised to write soon, but...Well I don't really have a good reason. May be i was too busy or may be too tired. Or may be both. I thinks its both.

Anyways...

The interesting thing I was talking about didn't really happened to me. I just happened to be there when this happened. So as usual I was working on the store. There was another guy, who is from Palestine by the way working with me. We call him A.K. He is perhaps 15 to 20 years older than me. He has been here in USA for about 5 years now and he seems to be very confident in his ways. It was late into the night, perhaps 11:30 pm or so. There were few people in the store and I was doing this and that.

A girl came in the store. She was perhaps 16 or 17. I know for sure that she was not 18 yet, coz' she wanted to buy some cigarettes and when I asked for an ID, she said she didn't have one. And since unlike Nepal, where a person can and usually does send his 5 year old son to buy a cigarette, it is illegal in US to sell tobacco based products to under 18 people, i refused to give her the cigarettes. She didn't say anything and began to browse the store.

She stopped besides a hanger where we have few T-Shirts. She asked for a price on one of them. Before I could answer, AK jumped in and told her that it was 12 dollars + tax. She fumbled around her pockets and took out everything she got. She quietly counted the money and told him that all she had was 9 dollars 50 cents. She then took turn between asking me and AK, if she could have it in $9.50. I of course said no, but then AK said something that shocked me. He told her that she could have it in 9.50 if she was ready to change into that T-Shirt then and there.

What shocked me more was that she was considering it. She asked, "Here...?", to which AK said, 'ya, you got any problem with that?' She looked around. There were at least 7 more people in the store. She said, "Not really." and began to take off the T-shirt she was wearing. Everyone in the store shopped whatever they were doing and looked in to her direction. She took off her shirt and struggled with new T-shirt for sometime and finally got it down her shoulders.

Now, i know that some of you may be thinking, so whats the big deal? Its US. But the girl i am talking about didn't look like she needed to put on a show to get 3 dollars off in a T-shirt. She was wearing good clothes. she had come in a nice car. you could tell that she wasn't...you know what. She had done it just for fun. May be you are right...this is US...whats the big deal?

And the last word. I leave it to your imagination to decide if or not she was wearing anything inside her T-shirt.

3 comments:

nabrz said...

nice story amit..
keep it up

nabrz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Agyaat said...

hmm... gr8 brainstorming