Monday, April 9, 2007

Condolences for my sore throat

I have been getting some really strange response from people when I tell that about my sore throat. Everyone is giving me their own homemade solutions. It is not unusual for people to give suggestions when you say you have some health problem, but lets look at what I got.

First of all, I got condolences for my neck! ya condolences. A Bengali guy who works with me at the store actually said, "You have my condolences for your bad neck." Almost as if my throat was dead. He wasn't trying to be mean or funny. Its just that he has very bad English. I didn't knew what to say to that. I wanted to laugh, but my throat hurt when I laughed, so I just said "Thank you."

The boss at one of the store I work at asked me why I was speaking in such a small voice. When I said, I had a sore throat and it hurt when i speak, this is what he had to say. "Amit, you should drink tea. You know what tea is?" Yaaa...I know what tea is. "You should also put lemon on it. You know lemon... its those green things...wait I will show you." You don't have to show me the lemon. I f&*^ing know what lemon is. Of course, I didn't say that out loud, but he on the other hand did bring me a lemon. He didn't give it to me, just showed me how the lemon looked like. Then he asked me, "Do you know where you can buy these?"

Then there were my friends and family from Nepal, who had their own recipes, but weren't sure whether I could get the ingredients here. Songs asked me if I can get 'beshar' (turmeric) here. Our dear Mr. Raju asked me if I can find 'aduwa' (ginger) and 'marich' here. My aunt had the funniest question. She asked me If I can buy salt here in US. I mean come on...beshar, ginger, marich, i can understand, but Salt! Why wouldn't you be able to find salt here?

Friends, i beg you not to take me in a wrong way. I really appreciate your concern and am very grateful for your suggestions. Its just that some of the conversations I had were really funny. And ya, with your good wishes, I am doing OK now. No need to give any condolences. :)

2 comments:

minakshi said...

Well ..Amit i am amazed that you dont get salt there hehehe(just kidding) and dont you people drink lemon tea there....hehehe lemons are roung green balls hehehe...well so now i am interested to know how u got ris of your problem n r u oki now....
heres my share of suggestion ..."talk less n listen more" when u have such problem hehehe but i am sure u know that...

nabrz said...

timle malai sodena.. ma rum khau bhanthe.. ;)