Thursday, April 26, 2007

...contd. When it comes to family...US is all screwed up...

As I was saying, its just different here. People here are very courteous to strangers. When you walk past a total stranger, he might just ask you, 'hey buddy how are you doing?' or he will smile at you for the least. So its very surprising for me when people here are not that nice to their own family members.

Let me now go to the second incident I mentioned earlier. This happened a few days ago. This time again, a girl came to my store and asked to buy beer. She didn't at all looked like she was 21, so I asked her to show her ID. She told me that she didn't had ID on her, but the beer was for her mother. I told her that I couldn't sell her beer unless she showed me her ID and told her to go.

She came in after few minutes with who appeared to be her mother. The mother looked irritated and asked me why I didn't give beer to her daughter. The girl stood by her with the 'I told you so' face. As i was explaining the mother that I couldn't possibly sell beer to the underage, no matter who it was for, a guy stormed into the store.

He was dead drunk and stinking like hell. He began cursing me for not allowing the girl to buy the beer. 'You *&%*,...you never check the *#&*ing high school kids for their ID, but ask her for ID....!' I knew it was useless talking with that guy, but I asked the girl if he was her father. She made a face and said, 'Ew! no! He is just her boyfriend.' So you might be thinking he was shouting at me because he loved the girl, but he was just trying to impress her mother.

Now I thought they would leave and I wouldn't have to smell the stinking guy, but there was a twist coming up. The guy heard the girl's 'Ew!' and was offended. He now turned towards the girl and began cursing her. 'So you don't think I am good enough to be your father, you bitch...if you were my daughter, I would give you poison'. If he was her real father, she would have probably drunk that poison, but thats not my real problem. All the time he was cursing her girl, the mom was just smiling. And when I looked at her, she just shrugged her shoulder like she was saying, 'Look at that! My boyfriend is shouting at my little girl again. What can I do?'

As I said earlier, I do realize that I cannot generalize some people's behavior to all the US families. But to me, these people do provide some insight to the degrading values in the American families.

6 comments:

A said...

Waiting to read more episodes.

Samyak said...

I don't exactly have another episode for this, but this happened today.

The is this regular customer in my store who buys 4 packs of cigarettes everyday. Today, I couldn't keep myself from asking if really smokes 4 packs a day. He very casually told me that the cigarettes are for himself, his wife and his daughter.

I don't know whether he was just kidding or serious, but thats what he said to me.

A said...

It may be true. I mean episodes by the interesting experiences or encouters at your work because I'd never have known about it otherwise.

nabrz said...

Nepali thito in America...
experiencing new...

keep posting amit

ever3stmomo said...

Nicely related...

Kinda' reminds me of Cats in the Cradle by Ugly Kid Joe [Listen Here].

Samyak said...

thats a good song...really gets you thinking...priorities...