Thursday, March 1, 2007

If I found a time machine

It breaks my heart to see very good domain names go to waste.

Today I suddenly got an idea for a website and thought up a perfect name for it. But when I checked for that domain name, I found out that this particular domain had already been registered at 2003. What is more tragic is that this domain has not really been used. This is a parked domain and all it has are advertising links.

Though I really think Internet should be free, I think there is need to regulate such things. Domain names shouldn't go to waste like this. June 2005 survey[1] by netcraft.com shows that at that time there were around 66 millions!!! websites registered. out of which only 29 millions are active. Of course these numbers must have changed substantially, but it still gives the picture of the waste of the domain names.

I know there is not good solution to this. In face even my own personal site is in the 'under construction' state. but still, it feels bad when I cannot get the domain names I want.

If I ever get hold of a time machine, I would travel to past just so I can register all the domains I want...


[1] http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/06/01/june_2005_web_server_survey.html

No comments: